Jensen Baird, a medium-sized law firm in downtown Portland, is looking to hire a full-time Legal Assistant/Paralegal to assist its growing Litigation and Labor & Employment practice groups. Past experience in commercial litigation and labor & employment matters is preferred, but Jensen Baird is happy to train motivated candidates.
Responsibilities for Legal Assistant
- Draft and proofread correspondence, motions, and pleadings for filing in courts; e-filing court documents with appropriate courts;
- General administrative assistance, such as maintaining the attorney’s calendar, as well as keeping track of filing deadlines and reminders to attorneys;
- Obtain medical records and other exhibits as needed;
- Communicate with clients, witnesses, and court reporters to schedule meetings and depositions;
- Manage client billing by entering attorney’s billable hours, editing, finalizing, and sending out bills.
Qualifications for Legal Assistant
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required;
- Associate’s degree in paralegal studies, a paralegal certificate, or a Bachelor’s degree is preferred;
- 1-3 years of experience as a legal assistant or paralegal is preferred;
- Detail-oriented and highly organized;
- Time management and ability to multi-task;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and professional demeanor;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel and Access;
- Ability to work independently, manage large workloads and keep deadlines.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
c/o Office Administrator
P.O. Box 4510
Portland, ME 04112-4510
or by email to: email@example.com