Charlie is committed to delivering tangible results so clients can achieve their goals. A member of the firm’s Real Estate and Land Use & Permitting Practice Groups, he handles commercial and residential real estate transactions for a variety of corporate, municipal, and individual clients. Charlie’s practice is results-focused, with a priority on understanding and achieving the client’s objectives in an efficient and practical manner.
“I try to identify the client’s objectives and outline a smart and efficient path for getting there. I don’t want to create obstacles or provide impractical advice. I ask the client and myself: ‘What are you trying to accomplish? What do you need to do? What is optional? What is a good idea? When should you push forward or walk away?’ My aim is to provide the client with legal advice that moves the ball forward so they can ultimately close a transaction or complete a project.”
Since joining Jensen Baird, Charlie has emerged as a leading attorney in Maine condominium law. He represents numerous developers of condominium projects and existing homeowner associations. His clients include corporate entities and individuals involved in real estate, including large and small owners, investors, lenders, developers, condominium and homeowner associations, continuing care retirement communities, landlords and tenants, utilities, and municipalities. He regularly assists clients with real estate matters such as association documents, acquisitions, sales, leasing, financing, zoning, permitting, as well as title and boundary disputes. Representations vary from drafting commercial leases in urban areas to negotiating access easements over waterfront properties to conducting the sale of commercial timberland to navigating solar lease terms. In 2019, Charlie’s work on the restoration of the Grand Trunk Railroad Depot in downtown Yarmouth garnered an award from Maine Preservation.
Charlie writes and speaks frequently on numerous real estate topics, including condo association best practices, property taxes, FEMA flood insurance rate maps, option agreements, licenses, and easements.
Outside of the law, Charlie is the proud parent of two children, ages 5 and 8, and a mutt. He is a volunteer basketball coach and an active community member.
- Columbia College, B.A.
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State of Maine
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Maine Real Estate & Development Association (MEREDA)
- Community Associations Institute (CAI) Maine Legislative Action Committee (Chair)
- Port Resources, Board of Directors
- Coach, City of Portland Parks & Recreation Department
- Former Board Member, The Jewish Community Alliance (JCA)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law
- New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars for Real Estate, Land Use/Zoning, Energy & Natural Resources (2009-2020)
- Chambers and Partners Listed as an “up-and-coming attorney who is making a name for his transactional, commercial and residential real estate practice”