For Ben, partnering with elected officials, municipal employees, and public entities across Maine to help them serve their communities is an honor. As a member of the firm’s Government Services and Land Use & Permitting practice groups, his practice focuses on advising municipalities on issues relating to ordinance drafting, zoning, land use enforcement, appeals, and litigation, as well as the municipal regulation of adult-use and medical marijuana. Ben also advises private clients on a wide array of issues involving municipalities, including site plan and subdivision approvals, zoning variances, and issues pertaining to short term rentals. From expert advocacy to the occasional dash of humor, Ben’s goal is to partner with clients and build a relationship that helps support their work.
“Easily the most rewarding part of my practice is the opportunity to build long-term relationships with clients. Oftentimes my involvement begins when problems arise, particularly in the context of litigation. Litigation can be stressful, regardless of the context or stakes, and I enjoy helping clients understand the risks, strategies, and potential resolutions that pop up throughout the process. My goal as an attorney is to not only protect clients during the “bad” times, but also to counsel and partner during the good times. Equally rewarding are the phone conversations that focus on how to solve a pressing issue, or better yet, plan a way to forestall or eliminate that problem altogether.”
Ben is a graduate of Bates College, where he majored in Politics and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He received his law degree from the University of Maine School of Law, where he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Maine Law Review.
Ben is a South Portland native and lives in Portland with his wife. He serves on the City of Portland Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Bates College, B.A., magna cum laude
- University of Maine School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- State of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- Maine State Bar Association
- Cumberland County Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch” for Land Use & Zoning Law and Municipal Law (2021-2022)
- New England Super Lawyers Rising Star for Land Use/Zoning, and State, Local & Municipal Law (2020-2022)
- Shur-Frinsko Award for Municipal Law and Local Governance, 2015
- Wernick Prize for Legal Writing, 2016